When my son was little, I had a habit of always telling him I’d be there in ‘just a minute.’ If I was visiting with a friend and he was more than ready to leave, I’d tell him that we would be leaving in — you guessed it — ‘just a minute.’
Of course, that minute usually lasted a bit longer than 60 seconds. Okay, maybe sometimes a lot longer. That darn minute always seemed to pass so quickly.
I often wonder if that’s why he doesn’t always have a good sense of time today.
It’s so easy to underestimate the value of that precious 60 seconds. I mean, really …
What is a minute worth?
A minute can either pass quickly or slowly depending on what you’re doing at the time. And when it comes to getting stuff done, I think we grossly underestimate the value of what we can accomplish in just a minute.
It’s true that some things do take longer to do than we think they will. But other things can be done in very small increments of time. And those small steps move you closer to getting stuff done and getting organized.
Most things that need done can probably be broken down into one minute tasks.
Every minute counts and there’s many things that can done in just a minute.
Here’s a few ideas to get you started:
– Put that loose paper away in its file
– Put 5 files away in your filing drawer
– Clear a spot on your desk to work on something
– Throw something — anything – away
– Collect all your loose sticky notes to process later
– Call and make that appointment you’ve been putting off
– Answer one email and delete the original
– Make a file for those loose papers that belong together
– Make a to-do list of ‘must get done today’ items
– Then set a time limit for each of those items
– Delegate something that could be better done by someone else
That should get some ideas flowing for you.
And here’s one more for you … take a minute to acknowledge your efforts and celebrate your success. No matter how small it is — it’s worth celebrating.
Those small things will lead to HUGE results down the road.
When you multiply tiny pieces of time with small increments of daily effort, you can accomplish anything you want. ~ Author unknown
So, what can you do in ‘just a minute’ to accomplish what you want?
Do it now. Don’t waste another minute.
Now, get on with your day!
Georgina Forrest, your Organizing Expert, provides office organizing services, consulting and training workshops to busy professionals. She shows them how to get calm-control of their workspace – one pile at a time. Sign up for her FREE audio course, 7 PAINLESS TIPS TO GET & STAY ORGANIZED – FOREVER! at http://sworganizing.ca